Monday, April 20, 2009

Why My Vagina Is Hostile...

A few days ago I started a blog titled "Her Royal Blogginess," which I meant to take from "Her Royal Bitchiness," which is my nom de guerre for particularly foul moods.

However, in my Biology of Women class we often talk about how the vagina maintains a low pH which helps keep bacteria at bay but can often be a hostile environment for sperm. So, aside from just thinking that the phrase "hostile vagina" is hilarious to read, write, and say out loud, it conjures up anti-patriarchal sentiments in me.

I also appreciate that it combines the very thing that is used to define women in our society (reproductive organs) with a tool that is often used to silence women (accusations of anger).

***for a hilarious take on how the misogynistic Right uses the image of the "angry women" to silence us, look here: http://www.startribune.com/opinion/commentary/42772072.html?elr=KArksc8P:Pc:U0ckkD:aEyKUiacyKUUr***

So, that's how this acerbic feminist came up with the title "Hostile Vagina" on a cold and rainy April afternoon before a Biology test.

No comments:

Post a Comment